Sleeping with earphones can improve your quality of sleep. Some people use earphones to block out sound while they sleep like, snoring, car beeps, rather annoying noise that can ruin your night sleep.
Music plays a huge role in our life, and for some reasons, you can always rely on listening to music when you’re lonely, happy or even just for a typical day. We can relate easily to the message of the song, whether it’s for love, sadness, happiness or rarely for hatred. Music is our spirit lifter. Some people make use of music to help them fall asleep.
Listening to music relaxes our brain. But listening to music throughout the night with your headphones can harm you, especially your hearing ability. First, before we proceed, music connects people of all race and culture; in some ways that don’t seem to happen to other individuals. Only a few people understand the benefits of listening to music, unlike food or sex that present its purpose.
In today’s advancing technology, we might find it hard to fall asleep, specifically if you are hooked in your headphones, either playing games or just listening to music. When it is time to sleep, other people want to hear music before sleeping, but removing their earphones seems to be impossible. Studies found out that sleeping with your earphones on can cause damage.
Failing to get a good night sleep may have a negative effect on your overall physical and mental health. Out of all, one way to get a good night sleep is scented candles which have ingredients that help us to fall asleep, and it is also a good alternative instead of using earplugs.
Unexpectedly removing your earplugs can damage your eardrum; slowly and gently pull the earplugs, with twisting motion makes the earplug removal faster and easier. Learning about the risks of sleeping with earphones can minimize the damage that it can cause to your health especially to your hearing.
It is the death of body tissue, and it can happen when the buds don’t well cause too much pressure in the ear canal. Wearing earphone while sleeping blocks the flow of blood to circulate well to our skin tissues and it very dangerous.
The most significant negative effect of using earphones while sleeping is unhealthy and gross. Since earphones are made for internal use, ear wax is forced inside preventing it from escaping from our ears. It also weakens our hearing ability because it blocks our eardrum. You can also prevent it by conducting regular checkups with your hearing specialist.
One of the natural remedies for this condition is by secretion of earwax. Earwax also has benefits to your ears. It protects our eardrum from dust and other substance that can degrade our hearing ability. However, too much wax build up can weaken our hearing and can also lead to serious infection. Make sure even that the earplug is always clean.
For example, if you have noise canceling earbuds and the smoke alarm goes on in the middle of the night, do you think you could hear it? So if you’re in a condominium or any house that has fire alarms, avoid sleeping with earphones.
Rarely, but if you are using headphone or earphones with a cable, you could end up choking. Using these audio devices is not recommended especially when you are sleeping. It can be very dangerous and uncomfortable.
Otitis Externa is gained by wearing earphones while sleeping. It is a condition where your ear canal becomes irritated because of too much pressure, especially when the earbuds is too tight. Our skin in the ear canal can wear out and, in some case, fluid may come out to the ear. Sometimes, sudden pain may occur because of the infection caused by the irritation.
Sleeping with wired headphones or earphones can be very lethal. The cable can strangle you the time you roll over or toss while you were sleeping. It can put so much pressure that results in breath restriction which can also lead to death.
Turning the volume to normal as you listen is very important. Too much loudness can cause hearing problems, and sometimes permanent deafness. You can enjoy listening to your favorite songs even the volume level is minimal. Basically speaking, you can listen with your earphones lower than 60dB.
This issue is very common in the younger generations because they like to listen with very high volume. Listening to music with higher volume will deteriorate your hearing ability.
If you can’t sleep without earphones then, it’s important to find a comfortable pair if it is possible. You may also try different materials for better experience without any harmful effects. Pushing the earplug hard and deep to your ear canal will cause irritation and pain.
Having a good sleep is very important, but if you a habit of sleeping with earplugs, remember to be responsible enough to avoid such an effect.
- Wax earplugs – this type of earplugs are made to mold to the size of your ear. It is an excellent choice for both swimming and sleeping because wax earplugs are water resistant.
- Silicone earplugs – this earplug made out of hard silicone is reusable, they are usually uncomfortable at first, but once they break in, you can’t feel them inside your ears. Soft silicone earplugs work like the hard ones but, it has a more comfortable fit. However, some users aren’t as efficient at blocking noise like the other ones.
- Foam – this type of earplugs are the most expensive among the rest. They are usually soft, makes them one of the most choices for sleeping purposes. However, its porous material makes them also suitable for bacteria and fungi, so you will need to change the time to time. You can also refer to your doctor about these custom earplugs.
- White noise machines – white noises machines is considered to be a good sleep initiator. Crossbreeds of white noise machines such as the sound of waterfall, rain or oceans waves are used to enhance our sleepiness.
- Run a fan – electric fan also helps to mute the sound you don’t want to hear during your sleep. If the sounds do not come appealing,
These kinds of earplugs are usually expensive and require more time in terms of cleaning. Using these earplugs correctly will reduce its bad effects if you:
- Push the earplug with clean hands until it’s well fit enough in your ears.
- Remove your earlobe away from your head
- Enter the earplug just enough to block the sound from coming out of your ear. Avoid pushing it too hard. You might end up irritating and damaging your eardrum.
- If you prefer to use disposable earplugs, as the foam ones, make sure to change them, at least 1-week interval.
The goodness of these hearing devices varies on how you use it. So taking good care of your earplugs and yourself, of course, will bring the most out of it.